Re: raid1 and lilo second disk doesn't boot - testing

hi ya rudy

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Rudy Gevaert wrote:

> > - it's a good test you're doing to disconnect sda
> >   to see if its boots .. also repeat with a disconnected sdb
> > 	- and verify that written data to one disks
> > 	is sync'd to the other disk when its "reconnected"
>
> It boots of both disks (when the other one is disconnected)
>
> > 	watch it syncing with "cat /proc/mdstat"
>
> However, it does not sync automatically.  I have to add the disk into
> the array manually with mdadm.

when you disconnected the disks ... how exactly did you do it
to simulate the ddisk failure ..
	- did you pull the power cord or pull the ide cable off

	- power up the system with the other disks ..
	- write a 2GB file ... in degraded raid mode ...
	- power down .. reconnect the cable  ... power up
	- and watch it resync..

	( pull or connect the cables when the power is off )

soemthing whacky if you have to manually add the disk back in
with mdadm ... it thinks its brand new virgin disk ?? vs just needing
to have it's new files sync'd to the  disk that just came online

c ya
alvin