Re: Upgrading from stable

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 00:38:49 +0100, Antony Gelberg <antony@antgel.co.uk> penned:
> Hi all,
>
> I think I'm ready to upgrade my main desktop machine from stable.
> I've been running stable (with an XF4.3 backport) for months now with
> no problems.  Only thing is, I'm starting to run into too many packages
> where I do need new features and fixes.
>
> I'm tempted to go straight to unstable - given the threads that I've read,
> it seems very similar to testing in terms of actual stability.
>
> But - given that this is my _main_ machine, I use it for work all day,
> every day, is this a bad idea?  I keep reading of people running
> unstable with no problems.  I'd like to turn it around and ask if anyone
> _has_ had any major problems with such an upgrade, and if so what?

I have had no problems performing the upgrade from stable to unstable.

When I have had problems with packages in unstable, for some reason it
always seems to have been with X.  (That's an estimated 4 times in
several years, so "always" isn't as dire as it sounds.)  I ran debian
unstable for a couple of years at my old job with very little trouble.

Here's a question for you: how often do you expect to upgrade your
system once you're running unstable?  Will you be checking every few
hours to see if anything new is available, or will you be restricting
yourself to upgrading only when you need new features or have received a
pertinent security update?

The more often you upgrade the system, the more chances there are for a
half-baked package to sneak in.

--
monique
Please respond to the group OR to my email, but not both.  (Group preferred.)