Re: Newsgroup usage question

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:09:31 -0500, Scott C. Linnenbringer <sl@eskimo.com> penned:
> --Signature=_Mon__29_Sep_2003_20_09_31_-0500_pe/V4DcYATcxTKe7
>
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 10:29:07 -0500, "debian.1" <debian.1@mlec.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello:
>>
>> I'm having trouble posting a question to the lists.  I tried to do it
>> via the newsgroup, dosent' appear.  I used my subscribed address.  Can
>> one post via the newsgroup?  What settings are required?
>>
>> I am subscribed to debian-user-digest only.
>
> This isn't possible directly via news, because it's a one-way news
> gateway. However, you can always read it via news and then follow-up by
> email by sending a message to debian-user@lists.debian.org. You do not
> have to be subscribed to post to this list.
>
> On the other hand, you can also use Gmane (?) which is a service that
> allows two-way access to a variety of open-source and technical related
> mailing lists via NNTP. It's kind of neat in concept.
>
> http://www.gmane.org

I use gmane.  It's not just neat in concept; it works pretty well in
reality, too!

(I'd rather have a newsgroup than a mailing list so that I can
consciously *choose* which messages to save, rather than having to
decide to delete them.  With a mailing list, I end up becoming a total
packrat and having to work way too hard to find the messages I really
need to see ... at which point I might as well search the archives,
anyway =P )
--
monique