Re: Intel 10/100 VE and eepro100

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Andrew Perrin wrote:
> > Unfortunately, I tried 2.4bf with no luck. It includes eepro100, which
> > fails, but not e100 (as far as I could tell).
>
> The e100 shows up in (at least) the 2.4.20 and later kernels.  It is a
> module and you would need to load it in /etc/modules.  The 2.4.18
> kernel did not have it.  Don't know about 2.4.19.
>
> Bob

Yes, it's available in 2.4.20 as an option, but that doesn't help in order
to do a net install.  What I ended up doing was burning a set of install
CDs, doing enough of an install from CD's to compile a kernel, and then
installing a custom 2.4.20 kernel with e100 built in and using that to do
the rest of the install. More cumbersome than I'd like (and embarrassing,
after bragging to my colleagues about the ease of a debian net install)
but not so bad.

ap

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu