Re: OT: BT Broadband - which ADSL modem?

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 01:45:16PM +0000, Jonathan Matthews wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 11:15:35PM +0100, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> > I have combined the modem and firewall by installing a Bewan adsl card,
> > which has Linux support:
> > http://www.bewan.com/bewan/products/adsl/bwadslpcist.php
>
> Cheers for that - it looks rather nice.  Hope you don't mind if I ask a
> couple of questions.
>
> Are there any issues with it being internal, as with winmodems?
> Does it steal much cpu (I hope to put this in a P60)?

Have you looked at http://www.linuxdsl.co.uk yet?  I can not imagine the
card places much load on the cpu although it possibly has more latency
than a dedicated router from what I have read.

> The PDF techspec says "standard ATM driver" - does this take much
> figuring out?  Is it a kernel configuration issue?

The gentlemen at http://www.linuxdsl.co.uk have what looks like a good
installation guide.  If you intend going with Debian may I recommend
kernel-package as a way to compile the kernel you will require.

> What spec PC do you have it in, and how many other NICs are there in it?
> Does it provide any other services?  How loaded does it get?

You have implied that you intend having the machine as a dedicated
router/firewall so, as I understand it, security considerations would
mean you would not be providing any other services on that machine.

Brian.