Re: Creating an diskimage of a debian system

 on Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 10:38:39PM -0700, Carla Schroder
(carla@bratgrrl.com) wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 September 2003 8:57 pm, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 03:33:32PM +0200, Jasper Metselaar
> (jasper@formmailer.nl) wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a Debian testing system and would like to make a backup
> > > (image) of it, so I can easily restore the system when I've
> > > messed things up.I searched through the list archives, but the
> > > messages I found are rather old.What's currently the best way
> > > to make an image of a debian system?
>
> My fave backup method is using Star and rsync, and backing up to
> another hard drive. It's fast and easy, and hard drives are so
> cheap you can have all the redundancy you want for not a lot of
> money.
> If you're thinking of creating something like a Norton Ghost image, I
> don't know if there is a Linux equivalent.

I just found partimage (http://www.partimage.org). I think I'll give
that one a try. I want to be able to do a full system restore in a few
minutes, so this might suit my needs. Therefore I was looking for a
disk dump utility.For normal/regular backup I use a tar script (something similar to the
script of Karsten).
- Jasper