Re: Debian app to read some MS file format?

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:07:05AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 04:07:04AM +0100, Pigeon (jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk) wrote:
> > I got an answer...
> >
> > > From techsupport@farnellinone.com Mon Sep 08 13:01:51 2003
> > >
> > > Sorry, our CD catalogue is only designed to function on Windows
> > > based systems. We are unable to disclose the data format.
> >
> > I don't really think I can take it forward from there unless I can
> > find out what the format is, so I can make constructive suggestions as
> > to an open-source format that they could use that it would be simple
> > for them to convert to.
>
> If you're keen to get the data, try WINE.

That's looking like the best idea at the moment. I've got winex, but
it depends on my windoze partition and that HD is dead at the moment,
so a slight delay is involved :-)

> If this is something you paid for, return it for a refund.

No, it was a freebie.

> Incidentally, I downloaded some PDFs from their site, which were among
> the worst-displaying I've ever seen.  Not sure what they're smoking.

They're based in Yorkshire, so it'll be Embassy Regal. :-)

> Characters all over the page, whatnot.

I just grabbed one, which displays OK for me in acroread, though
[k]g[host]v[iew] have problems with some of the graphics if
antialiasing is on:

  http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/39367.pdf

Which ones don't work for you?

> Any interest in writing this up?

Sure, though not having done so before I'm not entirely certain what
you'd be after... got a URL for an example of what you mean?

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons