Re: where is netscape 4 in testing?

on Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 09:39:59PM +0200, Roberto Sanchez (rcsanchez97@yahoo.es) wrote:
>  --- Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> escribi?:

> Try https://mypay.dfas.mil/ , where I access my payroll info.  From *nix it
> _only_ works in Netscape 4.x.  I have gone around and around for some time on
> this, but with Mozilla, Firebird, Epiphany, and Galeon it IDs the browser
> as:

You want some press focus on this stellar example of "military
security"?

> > They can always run lynx or dillo :)
> >

> Not if they want frames and SSL (at least as far lynx goes, I don't
> know about dillo).

IIRC lynx has rudimentary frames support.  lynx-ssl supports SSL.

w3m, another console browser, supports both frames and SSL.  And images,
if you really insist.

Dillo's pretty rudimentary, though its frames support is primitive (open
each as window).

> I can see that, but I was under the impression that Netscape
> Communications actually released all the source code under the NPL.
> Is this wrong?

Yes.

> Did they only release part of it?

Yes.

There's this problem common to proprietary code of viral infection by
third-party proprietary licenses.  The result is that you don't actually
own and control the code you use and develope.  This was a major problem
for Netscape (and any other company which has tried opening up
proprietary products).  It's among the reasons that OS/2 remains closed,
and was specifically a reason Bruce Perens recommended to HP that they
_not_ open source the HP OpenMail product (HP instead spun this off to
Samsung).

Peace.

    I managed to love simultaneously -- and this is not easy -- women
    and justice.
    -- Albert Camus, _The Fall_