Re: Unicode: is it safe to use it ?

on Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 07:28:36AM +0200, Xavier Maillard (zedek@gnu-rox.org) wrote:
> Christophe Courtois <christophe@courtois.cc> writes:
>

> >  The only problem is to have a nice font to display the message. For
> >  example, I use Bitstream fonts.
>
> Hmm, AFAIK, for me, Bitsream has no way to handle Unicode. Am I missing
> something ?
>
> >  Charset here is utf-8.
>
> Yep and it seems it doesn't display correctly with my MUA (Gnus) which
> is quite weird because it is known to handle pretty well (at least
> Emacs) Unicode even if it is not perfect (understand fully functional).

Well, another risk is people who use a fairly popular set of filters
which tag as spam anything that's more than a few percent (my own
threshold is 10%) non-roman characters, or specified in any of the
following charsets:

    ks_c_5601-1987
    big5
    euc-kr
    gb2312
    koi8-r
    iso-8859-9
    iso-2022-jp
    gb2312

Essentially:  if you're communicating with someone
who's using a roman characterset, send 'em something they can use.

Peace.

   A guide to GNU/Linux partitioning:
     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/partition.html