Re: [OT, announcement] emKnoppix

At Sat, 06 Sep 2003 00:01:35 +0530,
Rajkumar S wrote:

> For some time I have been working on a pet project of mine. To
> enable Debian to run on small embedded devices. So I tweaked
> knoppix to bring it under 25 MB in clooped file system
> Image. Today I am happy to release it to the world. Find it at
> http://emknoppix.sarovar.org
>
> The work is far from complete, though it is in a usable state.
> Installation is a matter of untarring the archives, and
> adjusting grub.conf. Readme has all these covered. Please go
> through it and send in your comments/criticisms. My plans are
> to evolve this for use in embedded devices or internet
> appliances, for applications such as vpns, firewalls etc.

What's so special about Knoppix that you have to trim IT down.
Aren't there already "business card" distros like LNX-BBC which
are just double your target size?  A BBC-type distro seems to me
to be a better starting point.  (This is supposing you didn't do
some magic to bring down OpenOffice to more manageable sizes.)

There's also the nifty bash script, bootcd (deb available) that
supposedly allows the creation of bootable compressed file
systems (but I've never managed to get the compression to work in
a bootable form)