/var/lib/dpkg/status problem

Hi,

When I try to use apt-get, as it initialises the package database, the
following errors appear:

Reading Package Lists... Error!
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occured while processing libpisock8 (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

I searched the debian-user list and found that others had this problem and
fixed it by appending the line "APT::Cache-Limits 25165824;" to their
/etc/apt/apt.conf but I did this , redownloaded the package lists (With
apt-get update) and as it tried to initialise these new lists the same
errors appeared.

What's up?

Aengus