Re: rms on debian

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 12:48:08PM -0400, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 05:02:12PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:

[Your attributions are broken; I've reinserted the missing one.]

> > On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 11:38:09AM -0400, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> > > This applies to a lesser extent to various emulators and game engines.
> >
> > Those are usually because no free ROMs are available.
>
> Here's a site with source code to about 160 gameboy advanced programs:
> http://www.gbadev.org/sources_cd.html

I downloaded a random sample of five of these: four had no licence at
all (which means you get the legal default, namely "all rights
reserved"), and one said that you weren't allowed to sell it. When I
said free I meant DFSG-free, not just "no charge" or "comes with source
code".

> Here's a plublic domain rom archive:
> http://www.zophar.net/roms/roms.phtml

These mostly don't seem to come with source. Again, those that I found
that did didn't have clearly free licences.

> This site only contains the better roms, but there are many more all
> over the place.

If you can demonstrate that the package is clearly useful with only
DFSG-free software, I'm sure that the maintainer would consider moving
it to main, anyway.

Cheers,