Re: Packages.gz blocked by Symantec Web Security

    > Hi all, My company uses Symantec Web Security to screen for
    > viruses at the HTTP proxy machine (and there's no way to
    > bypass the proxy). SWS returns with this message when I try
    > to open any Packages.gz
    [...]

That problem is similar to one that occurs when using apt and
dansguardian/squid.  The proxy gunzips the Packages files and
does not regzip them before handing them off to apt-get.  So
apt-get fails because it tries to gunzip the already ungzipped
file.  Bug report #200193 for dansguardian addresses the issue.
Another fix is to simply turn off the proxy, but I'm afraid
neither of those will work for you.  I don't have a fix for you,
but you are not alone in having problems with Packages.gz files
and a proxy.

Mike