USB Storage, Digital Camera, devfs, scsi, mounting hotplug

I am running Debian Unstable with a 2.4.21 kernel, and am trying unsuccesfully
to connect my sony cypershot DSC P7 via usb storage.

I won't post logs at this stage.  However, syslog and messages show that the
camera is detected and fully recognised.  Also, host1 is being created under
/dev/scsi.  However, /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0 is empty.  Scsi disk
support is enabled in the kernel.  It appears that the device node is not
being created nor symlinks set up etc.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Darryl