Unusual idea..

Guys...

I've had an idea for a "play project" I can work on at home in my spare
time.. but before I start on it I need a few ideas..

Can anyone come up with a theory on how to "convert an mp3 into a
number"? I know that sounds weird so I'll explain what I mean...

Imagine converting an mp3 into a wav and loading it into a wav editor..
you will see a waveform.. there must be a mathematical way of converting
that waveform into a unique number that will represent that waveform..
the number would be huge to hold all the information for the waveform...

When I say "number" I don't mean as in integer, long etc.. I mean as in
a huge set of individual integers..

Hope that all makes sense.. anyone any ideas on how this could be done?

Cheers

Craig