Re: One Last Note

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003, Alan Connor wrote:

> You have 3 spammers on the list, that I have been able to identify for
> sure.

First of all, whoever wants to hit me with a cluebat for replying can -
I probably deserve it.

The debian-user mailing list does get spammed - I believe that you don't
have to be a member of the mailing list to post messages to it.

	Fact #1:  You don't need to be a member to spam this list.

The debian-user mailing list also has an online archive, and its very
probably that spammers have harvested email addresses from the web
pages.

	Fact #2:  You don't need to be a member to harvest email
		addresses from this list.

Spammers almost always abuse open relays, and in abusing open relays,
tend to mungle the email headers, you are left with trying to match up
the non-forged header information with users.  (Not trivial, but not
difficult).  At the same time, its possible to set up an open relay by
mistake, and considering that this is a debian help list, there is a
strong probability that a few users accidentally have an open relay.

So, tell me, how are you matching up spammers to users on this list?

~ Jesse Meyer

(Off to find a cluebat)

--
         icq: 34583382 / msn: dasunt@hotmail.com / yim: tsunad

   "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we
    pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr : Mother Night