Mounting windows share

I have a file server running Samba with a public share, readable and
writable to anyone.  I have two Windows machines and one Mandrake
machine successfully accessing the share.  Viewing the connections under
Webmin shows the machines connected as user nobody, group nogroup.

However, when I try to connect my Debian machine to the server, it asks
me for a password, then gives error "688: tree connect failed: ERRSVR -
ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair are invalid)"

I have specified username=nobody and used the guest option without
success.  I get the error whether logged in as root or as a user.  I get
it whether I put a line in fstab or call mount.smbfs directly.

Any assistance appreciated.