Re: ssh is slow

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Roberto Sanchez wrote:

> --- David List <david@davidlist.dk> escribió:
>> Wheen ssh'ing to and from my Debian 3.0r1, ssh acts dead slow when
>> connecting, even when all keys are installed and no passwords are used.
>>
>> Could this be solved in some way?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> David List
>
>If it is only slow while negotiating the connection, it is because it is
>trying to look up the host via /etc/hosts and then DNS (a friend of mine
>pointed
>this out to me).  All I needed to do was edit the /etc/hosts file on the three
>machines on my private subnet, and viola.  Everything works great now and the
>negotiation is nearly instantaneous.

The two systems between which I experience the problem know about each
other through /etc/host files, so I'm not sure that's the problem.

The one system is a SuSE Linux system with openSSH 3.4p1 that I can ssh
to from outside my LAN. The authentication has always been *very* swift
on that system.

The other system is a Debian 3.0r1 also with openSSH 3.4p1 (the default
Debian package). I experience slow authentications both ways with this
system.

I just tried copying the sshd_config file from the SuSE system to the
Debian system, and when I restarted the sshd server, I got a message
about the protocol version being disabled, because the host key could
not be loaded. Does this have anything to do with the problem?

Thank you for your answer.

Best regards,
David List