Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful (was Re: Look

> From sl@eskimo.com Wed Aug  6 16:21:40 2003
>

> --=.rC9j7h,QKjk)0T
>
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 09:10:03 -0700, Alan Connor <alanc@eskimo.com> wrote:
>
> > I hate to have to do this, but I own an apology to Paul Johnson.
> >
> > (Having received a mail from a list member with an example of a false
> > CR. Talk about FAST.)
>
> For all that you do in trying to fight the spam problem, I find it
> ironic that you yourself are contributing to the problem through your
> mail headers. You're grossly violating your own netiquette that you
> previously preached to us regarding PGP/GPG signatures.
>
> alanc@eskimo.com is not a valid email address. I have verified by
> checking with the eskimo.com mx server, fingering that username and
> checking if you have a home directory on eskimo.com's shell. eskimo.com
> is, however, a valid site whose mx is processing all the mail,
> including spam from harvesters, and then bouncing them. By using an
> invalid email address in your headers with a valid domain, the site's mx
> is picking up the weight of spam, even though you are not.
>
> As a paying customer of eskimo.com, I feel that you should carefully
> reconsider how you post to these mailing lists. Robert Dinse at eskimo
> has a hell of a time fighting spam, as any admin at any site, and I do
> not appreciate you causing him to receive more spam which the mx has to
> bounce.
>
> (normally I would care less, but I feel more inclined to care in a
> situation like this.)
>
> --
> Scott Christopher Linnenbringer	    <sl@eskimo.com>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~sl/info.txt  <sl@moslug.org>

Either this is a sick joke (and a poor one at that) or it is criminal.

here's the post I sent from my sentmail mbox:

q:Quit  d:Del  u:Undel  s:Save  m:Mail  r:Reply  g:Group  ?:Help
--- alanc                Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful
(was Re: Look at