Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful (was Re: Look at

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 09:10:03 -0700, Alan Connor <alanc@eskimo.com> wrote:

> I hate to have to do this, but I own an apology to Paul Johnson.
>
> (Having received a mail from a list member with an example of a false
> CR. Talk about FAST.)

For all that you do in trying to fight the spam problem, I find it
ironic that you yourself are contributing to the problem through your
mail headers. You're grossly violating your own netiquette that you
previously preached to us regarding PGP/GPG signatures.

alanc@eskimo.com is not a valid email address. I have verified by
checking with the eskimo.com mx server, fingering that username and
checking if you have a home directory on eskimo.com's shell. eskimo.com
is, however, a valid site whose mx is processing all the mail,
including spam from harvesters, and then bouncing them. By using an
invalid email address in your headers with a valid domain, the site's mx
is picking up the weight of spam, even though you are not.

As a paying customer of eskimo.com, I feel that you should carefully
reconsider how you post to these mailing lists. Robert Dinse at eskimo
has a hell of a time fighting spam, as any admin at any site, and I do
not appreciate you causing him to receive more spam which the mx has to
bounce.

(normally I would care less, but I feel more inclined to care in a
situation like this.)

--
Scott Christopher Linnenbringer	    <sl@eskimo.com>
http://www.eskimo.com/~sl/info.txt  <sl@moslug.org>