Re: apt and changelogs

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 06:10:19PM -0500, Matt Peter wrote:
> hello,
>
> Is there a debian-way of viewing the changelog for an app?  I can
> usually find them .gz'd up on my system, but it's a hassle, is there
> any simple way to view a changelog?

talk about FAQ! second time today!!

look at the thread starting with [🔎] 200308041600.48560.newsScott@gmx.de
with subject line "Easy/Fast way to view a package's debian/changelog"

or install apt-listchanges

[503]hugh@anni:~$ apt-cache show apt-listchanges
Package: apt-listchanges
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 300
Maintainer: Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 2.39
Depends: python (>= 2.2.2), apt (>= 0.5.3), python-apt, debconf, ucf
Suggests: x-terminal-emulator, www-browser, debianutils
Filename: pool/main/a/apt-listchanges/apt-listchanges_2.39_all.deb
Size: 43186
MD5sum: 3a33050ba4003250a82ad2850b9f9624
 apt-listchanges is a tool to show what has been changed in a new
 version of a Debian package, as compared to the version currently
 installed on the system.  It does this by extracting the relevant
 entries from the Debian changelog file, usually found in
 /usr/share/doc/package/changelog.Debian.gz
 .
 It can be run on several .deb archives at a time to get a list of all
 of the changes that would be effected by installing or upgrading a
 group of packages.  It can be configured to do this automatically
 during upgrades using apt.

--
hugh