"eject" command only works for root

Dear all,

The "eject" command (which opens the CD tray) works as expected if I run
it as root. But as a common user, typing "eject" on the command line
brings up this error message:

  bob@sonic:~> eject
  eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'

I took a look at the permissions for "eject":

  bob@sonic:~> ls -l /usr/bin/eject
  -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        14332 Apr 25  2001 /usr/bin/eject

Common users can mount/unmount the drive - this is from /etc/fstab:

   /dev/cdrom      /cdrom          iso9660 ro,user,noauto          0
  0

So I'm perplexed as to what is preventing common users from being able
to open the drive with the "eject" command.

regards,
Robert