Re: Using dd to copy a disk.

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 06:01:35PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > About the symlinks that Ron mentions, I really don't know. Just have my own
> > experience to draw on. I guess if what you were cloning wasn't self-contained
> > that would be something to deal with. Something for a little shell script
> > after everything else was done, if it was me.
>
> If, say, /var, /etc and /usr are in the / partition, then "cp -a"
> will work fine, but because there tend to be many symlinks between
> /var, /etc and /usr/bin, things can get sticky regarding symlinks.

Boy that does seem sticky.  I guess I don't understand what would happen
with cp -a with hard and soft symlinks.  Doesn't see like it would would
with hard links (if I have any at all).

So my partitions look like:

/dev/sda2 on / type xfs (rw)
/dev/sda5 on /tmp type xfs (rw)
/dev/sda6 on /usr type xfs (rw)
/dev/sda7 on /var type xfs (rw)
/dev/sda8 on /usr/local type xfs (rw)
/dev/sda9 on /home type xfs (rw)

So if a link points from one partition to another I'm probably in
trouble with cp -a, right?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org