Exim, can send mail but not receive

Just installed Exim 3.35, I can send mail from the server and from a machine
on the LAN. The machine has the domain MX record pointing to it. The
/var/mail/$user user files receive the mail but clients seem incapable of
collecting this mail. Using outlook express, get the following

inactivity. Account: 'LANMAIL', Server: 'mailserver_name', Protocol: POP3,
Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

What do I need to do to allow mail to be collected

Many Thanks

Gordon Chapman