Re: xrdb

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 02:29:09AM +0100, Hugh Saunders wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 12:20:46AM +0200, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
> thanks, i had ~/.Xresources, renaming it Xdefaults got it read by
> default, thanks :)

Using 'xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources' would work, too.

> next prob, now all my xterms are started with nice colours i have a very
> strange issue. All windows in ratpoison are full screen. Hitting ^t
> c spawns a new xterm. In the new xterms, when i type vim, sometimes vim
> takes up the whole xterm but on other occasions it only uses a section
> of the xterm in the top left hand corner.
>
> I did ^t c, vi, :q!, ^d      10 times to see if there was a pattern to
> wether vim occupied the whole xterm, i recorded the results:
> full,topleft,topleft,full,full,topleft,full,topleft,full,full
>
> very strange behaviour, and seemingly without pattern :(
>
> any idea why vim [or mutt] or any console program would occupy the full
> xterm? note that ls and cat do use the whole of the xterm even when
> vim/mutt/modconf/etc just use a portion.

xterm should keep track of it's size and inform the apps running within
it this fact, and send them a signal when it changes.  I've sometimes
noticed this happen with Eterm (and xterm); resizing the affected window
has always fixed the problem, so I assume it's xterm or something
getting confused for a second.  It's usually only if I resize a window
while it's still loading, which would seem to be what rat poison does.
I don't know if you can resize windows in rat poison at all, so this
might not be any help at all, sorry :)

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>  |   mlspam@ertius.org   |   http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?