Re: LAN Saturated by Unwanted Transmission

Hi,

> I have three debian boxes on a wireless LAN.  Wnen my grandson's Windows
> XP is included on the LAN it saturates the system with transmissions.  I
>   installed tcpdump which shows repeated lines of transmissions to
> 172.179.211.254.1781
>
> I set up the LAN with no difficulty but I have zero experience in
> monitoring it.  How do I find out what this is?
>
> Is there a good basic reference on monitoring which I should read?

Not really. Windows is such a wide open world where new worms and viruses
pop up continually. Looking at the open ports on that AOL machine, I'd
guess that both machines are running some sort of file sharing app. Try
downloading and running Ad-Aware on your grandson's Windows machine - it
may find some hidden file sharing program like Kazaa or Gator.

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs