Re: Debian files available as tarballs?

On Sun, 2003-06-22 at 10:30, John Klos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to get a tarball (or tarballs) of a Debian distro for use on
> a NetBSD system. However, I cannot find any place to download tarballs; on
> the ftp server, I see, for instance, tools in

http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/Debian3.0r1a/main/disks-m68k/base-images-current/basedebs.tar

In the 'disks-arch' directory you should find base-tarballs. These are
copied to the root directory on installation as a starting point during
install.

However, this is not the recommended way to install debian.
Your best option, if you do not want to download too much, is
downloading the floppy images (or if it's available for m68k a mini
cd-image) and installing from that.

> What do you people do for chroots?

Usually I just copy those few files I need in a chroot manually, there's
no need to have a full environment there, only some minimal device
files, libraries and one or two binaries.

For full chroots with complete systems you could do a chrooted
installation... there are probably docs for this somewhere, but IIRC it
includes extracting that tarball (above) in the chroot, changing some
files to simulate the 'configure' stage and then chrooting into the
chroot, and installing some final packages you need.

--
Mark Janssen -- maniac(at)maniac.nl -- GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ SyConOS IT