Re: xfree modules

LeVA <leva@fbi.hu> wrote:

L> There is a section named Modules in the XF86Config-4 file. Has
L> somebody a howto, or doc page where is some explanation about
L> the modules?  For example "dbe" "ddc" "vbe" "dri" "extmod"
L> "glx" "pex5" "record" "xie" "xtrap" "speedo" "type1" "GLcore"
L> "bitmap" "dbe" "ddc" "freetype" "int10" "vbe" etc....

I found this in /var/lib/dpkg/info/xserver-xfree86.templates:

(I suppose you will get it if you run 'dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86').

   loaded by default.  It is possible to customize (or completely
   omit) the list of modules that the X server loads by default.
   This option is for advanced users.  In most cases, all of these
   modules except xtt should be enabled.
   .
   The GLCore and glx modules enable software OpenGL rendering.  The
   dri module enables support in the X server for Direct Rendering
   Infrastructure (DRI).  Note that support for DRI must also exist
   in the kernel, the video card, and the installed version of the
   Mesa libraries for hardware-accelerated 3D operations using DRI
   to work.  Otherwise, the server falls back to software rendering.
    .
   The vbe and ddc modules enable support for VESA BIOS Extensions
   and Data Display Channel, respectively.  These modules are used
   to query monitor capabilties via the video card.  The int10
   module is a real-mode x86 emulator that is used to softboot
   secondary VGA cards.  Note that the vbe module depends on the
   int10 module, so if wish to enable vbe, enable int10 as well.
    .
   The dbe module enables the double-buffering extension in the
   server, and is useful for animation and video operations.
    .
   The extmod module enables many traditional and commonly used
   extensions, such as shaped windows, shared memory, video mode
   switching, DGA, and Xv.  The record module implements the RECORD
   extension, commonly used in server testing.
    .
   The bitmap, freetype, speedo, type1, and xtt modules are all
   font rasterizers.  The freetype and xtt modules should not
   be enabled at the same time, as they are incompatible.  The
   freetype module should be used for Western languages and
   anti-aliased font support; the xtt module should be used for
   East Asian character set support (specifically, for CID-keyed
   fonts).
   .
   For further information about these modules, please consult the
   XFree86 documentation.
    .
   If you unsure what to do, leave all of the modules enabled
   except xtt.  Advanced users may wish to disable all modules --
   in which case no Modules section will be written to the X server
   configuration file -- and add their own Modules section to the
   file manually.

Morten

--
"All truths are half-truths."  (Alfred North Whitehead)