Re: Low latency patch worth the fuss?

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 11:57, Kristian Peters wrote:
> iwk <debian@vanderkleyn.com> schrieb:
> > I'm just ripping a few CDs' with Grip and even with nice level -20 for
> > both ripping & encoding the system "drags" noticeably. The kernel low
> > latency patch should in theory offer a solution by improving on the
> > resposiveness of the system. But does it in practice? Is it really worth
> > the fuss of recompiling the stock (debian) kernel which is working fine?
> > Anyone got any practical experience?
>
> No that has nothing to do with low latency. Ripping in 2.4 kernels only works in PIO mode... Your cpu load should be very high. You could test a cdaudio-DMA patch from Andrew Morton. The latest version (2.4.20-pre5) applies with offsets to 2.4.21 but still works correctly.
> You can find it somewhere here: http://www.zipworld.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/2.4/
<snip>
Hi

I must say that I run kernel 2.4.20(Recompiled). Ripping audio cd's
takes about 6-10 minutes with lg 32x10x40x cdrw with no lag on system
which give me the idea that I am not ripping in PIO mode, also my cdrom
is running on DMA. Cd paranoia only takes about 3-5% of user cpu and
same for system usage. Ripping with grip starts with about 5x at first
track(inside of disk) and finished at about 15x-20x if I remember
correctly.

The -20 nice value should however give MUCH LAG on system since it takes
all the priority. But, isn't 'n nice value maximum -19?

Regards
Tinus