Re: xrdb

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 12:20:46AM +0200, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
> Op za 14-06-2003, om 09:46 schreef Hugh Saunders:
> > hello,
> > i have an xrdb -load line in my .xsession which loads some xterm
> > resources from a file. The .xsession then spawns the wm [rat poison] and
> > an xterm. The xterm spawned by .xsession has the correct  resources but if
> > i use ratpoison to start a new xterm it has the default resources.
> >
> > I had thought there was an /etc/X11/xdefaults or something like that for
> > speciftying resources, but i cant find it!
> >
> > thanks for any help,
> >
> > --
> > hugh
> >

> I've set up a ~/Xdefaults file to do this.
> Mind that it's not x but X. Try to set one up in your home
> dir and see how that goes.
thanks, i had ~/.Xresources, renaming it Xdefaults got it read by
default, thanks :)

next prob, now all my xterms are started with nice colours i have a very
strange issue. All windows in ratpoison are full screen. Hitting ^t
c spawns a new xterm. In the new xterms, when i type vim, sometimes vim
takes up the whole xterm but on other occasions it only uses a section
of the xterm in the top left hand corner.

I did ^t c, vi, :q!, ^d      10 times to see if there was a pattern to
wether vim occupied the whole xterm, i recorded the results:
full,topleft,topleft,full,full,topleft,full,topleft,full,full

very strange behaviour, and seemingly without pattern :(

any idea why vim [or mutt] or any console program would occupy the full
xterm? note that ls and cat do use the whole of the xterm even when
vim/mutt/modconf/etc just use a portion.

thanks again,

--
hugh