Re: Re: lpr margin problems

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 12:06:23PM +0000, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
> >On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 11:04:09PM +0200, Benedict Verheyen wrote:

> >> i have installed CUPS 1.1.15. to work with my HP Deskjet3820.
> >> I installed all the latest foomatic* and cupsys* stuff.
> >> Now, the testpage from the webinterface from cup prints fine
> >> as do webpages, but when i try command line printing with
> >> lpr (the version from cupsys), the first letters to the left
> >> disappear and the top letters disappear also.
> >
> >I had this problem too.  Don't know of a true solution to it, but for
> >now I've just started using enscript to print regular text files rather
> >than lpr.  It gives a very nice postscript output which is sent by
> >default to the printer.
>
> The only thing that i could do was adjust the ppd file manually
> and instead of A4{0, 0, ...} i specified an offset for x and y.
> The x offset was taken so at least i had my letters on the left
> back but the y offset didn't work.

One thing you might not be aware of.. (and I _think_ I'm right) is that
the y margins seem to be from bottom to top of page.. That is, the first
(or smallest) y margin value is for the bottom margin and the larger one
is for the top.

I noticed that in many of the ppd's (my printer is a DJ 660C), the
ImageableArea is given as the full size of the page, I.E. for Letter, it
was given as:    *ImageableArea Letter/Letter: "0 0 612 792"  , and
*PaperDimension Letter/Letter: "612 792"

I found that with this setting, the command "lpr -p" would cut off the
prettyprint header and also some of the left side was cut off..  But if
I reduced the 792 to about 744, and changing the first 0 to about 18,
it would print OK..

(This is with the HPIJS drivers)

I do have a problem with Mozilla where it does not print the header, but
I believe it's a problem with Mozilla itself.