Help! I just destroyed my root filesystem

I ran grub-install on my root partition instead of my boot partition and now I
cannot boot my machine. I can get to the stage where the kernel tries to mount
the root filesystem but it cannot mount at as it is not the correct type
(reiserfs).

If I run file -s /dev/hda5 it returns x86 boot sector. I know that most of the
data is still there. Is there anything I can do to get it back? If not what is
the best way to go about re-installing the os?

Thanks

rgh