Re: Debian x Redhat

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 09:35:05AM +0300, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 14:20, Bruno Diniz de Paula wrote:

> > > the essential pros and cons of each of the distributions. I'm
> > > asking because for me the best thing about Debian (besides others)
> > > is the package manager system. Now I've heard RedHat 9 has
> > > something that resembles apt, which would put down this advantage
> > > of Debian. So, what do you think?
>
> RedHat does not have apt. apt was ported to support RPM long ago by
> Connectiva. Now, you can manualy go and install apt on major RPM based
> distros, like RedHat, SuSE and Mandrake. But, apt-rpm (as it is called)
> does not enjoy the advantages that it enjoys in Debian. I used apt-rpm
> when I had a RedHat 7.3 box, and it was completely useless. Because the
> repositories are so small (again, because the original company does not
> support it), that it is useless. Only a hanfull of applications, can
> work with apt-rpm.
Hey,
apt-rpm works nice and there are several free repositorys with add-on
packages for RH.

www.freshrpms.net is apt-get able

I maintain myself a few add on packages in a apt-get able rep
wrack.telelev.net

If you need you're free to build your own local apt-get able rep.
Apt-rpm knows about the file method ;)

Sven
--
It really sucks to give your heart to a girl
You want to know her like she knows the whole world