Re: network config kernel 2.4.20

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 11:10:37PM +0100, steve downes wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 15:40, Kevin McKinley wrote:
> > On 04 Jun 2003 14:30:50 +0100
> > steve downes <steve@kingswayelec.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone know how to get the kernel to see the right irq & io for a 3c509b
> > > card with the above kernel. Windows, 2.2 kernel & ltsp all get it right
> > > 2.4 gets something completely different
> > >
> > > Steve
> >
> > You can specify the IRQ and IO as options when the module is installed.
> >
> > Go here to see how:
> >
> > http://www.scyld.com/network/3c509.html
> >
> > I found that by googling on "scyld 3c509 IRQ" and following the first link.
> >
> > Kevin
>
> No. tried evry incantation I can think of in Lilo & read all the website
> & compiled the test program. The card is where everything else says it
> is io (0x300 irq 10)& nothing in lilo will make linux 2.4.20 look
> anywhere but io 0x220 irq 5.

I don't recall the early post on this, and whether you said other Linux
dists see the card or not, but I know on one of my machines (admittedly a
bit old... 486 vintage) works properly only when I disable the comm ports
and the parallel port in BIOS.  Linux still finds what it needs (esp. cards
plugged into the board).  My Realtek doesn't show up otherwise.

Have no idea what would have happened to Windoze under those circumstances,
but then again, Descent was a DOS game off the SB card.  ;-)

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,