Re: Security on a newly-installed debian system

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 02:09:31PM -0700, Deryk Barker wrote:
> Having switched at home last year (from Mandrake to Debian) I am about
> to remove SuSe (can you spell 'anal'?) from my office machine and
> install deb too.
>
> However, I have a slight concern: my home machine is behind a hardware
> router/firewall, but my office machine isn't.
>
> So, a question: exactly when will the newly-installed machine become
> vulnerable to attacks from the 'net? I recall there is a firewalling
> package with deb (although I don't need it at home). Will this be part
> of the dselect process and be configured to be secure on installation
> or do I need to set it up manually, if so when is the appropriate
> time?
>
> Any input appreciated.
i think this is quite an old way of doing things but my gut reaction
would be to put ALL:ALL in hosts.deny and clear anything from
hosts.allow untill you are sorted, then give access to those who need it
[ie you from wherever your gonna be]

--
Hugh Saunders [GCv3.12] GCS d- s: a--- C+++ UL++>$ P+ L+++ E--- W-- N++
K- w-- M- V? PS-- Y PGP- t-- !5 X- R- tv-() b- DI+ D- G++ e- h++ r z?