Re: MTA: usage of smart host

on Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 01:35:45PM -0500, Jeffrey L. Taylor (jeff@austinblues.dyndns.org) wrote:
> Quoting Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>:
> > If anyone's seen the AOL banning DSL mail item at Slashdot, the box I
> > was using to attempt sending to AOL is in fact registered via
> > dyndns.org.  Which didn't help.
> >
> >    AOL Bans Mail From DSL-Hosted Servers
> >    http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/04/13/2215207
> >
> > FWIW, I just got off the phone with a reporter, I expect this will get
> > more coverage before we're through ;-)
> >
> > And damnit!  I just want to be able to email my mom!
> >
> > Peace.
> >

> They may be checking the IP address, not the domain name you use.  You
> can plug your IP address into several search engines linked off this
> page to find out why they reject you:
>
> http://postmaster.info.aol.com./index.html

The page reports my IP as clean.  In other words:  they're blocking me,
but they can't tell me why they're doing so.  I posted this to the
Slashdot story.

One direct response I received was for how to implement SMTP denial to
domains in sendmail, as I suggested in the Slashdot piece.  Wondering if
those of you using various MTAs could post the appropriate recipies
here.

Peace.

   A guide to GNU/Linux partitioning:
     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/partition.html