[OT] Time monitoring workbook application

I am wondering if anyone can recommend an application for easy
monitoring of time spent on different projects.  I need something that
allows recording of notes on what was attempted and achieved, and time
started / finished.

I need something better than my current practice of using vim to create
flat text files of notes.  It would be a bonus if it could sync with a
palm pilot and use the system time for recording of start / finish.

Any ideas?  I am not after a major project management application, just
something to improve my logging of tasks done.

Regards.
Mark.