Sound-recorder recording blank file

Hi,

   I'm trying to get my sound up and working, and
especially to get sound-recorder going.  I already
have GOM working -- at least according to what I hear
from my speakers as I record.  GOM seems to work on
/dev/mixer

   However, when I try to record a file with
sound-recorder, it seems to be a blank file.  I can
open the wav file with other programs, and it looks
like sound-recorder recorded zeros everywhere.

   Can anyone tell me the proper way of doing this?

$sound-recorder -A /dev/mixer mywav.wav

didn't seem to do the trick, and having read the man
pages, I still am not closer to an understanding of
the problem.

As an additional note, I should say that I *also* can
get kmix to work on my woody-kde2.2, but krecord
doesn't record anything either:  it says it's
recording, but sits at a constant 0 MB.