Re: NVidia and orinoco was Re: 2.4.20 is (still) huge

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 12:09:13PM -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

> Unfortunately my video card drivers and my wireless card don't work. I had
> to install these two things from source for the 2.4.8 kernel. I'm not sure
> how to add them to the new kernel without wrecking the current
> installation (let's face it, I like the fact that I can boot into a
> working computer AND still do work on the new kernel).

(snip)

> Does anyone know of any web sites that I can read on how to work with two
> (or more) kernels and have all modules/drivers be in ONLY the correct
> place for the kernel they're referring to? (I think that question makes
> sense.)

TMK, kernel modules are kept in subdirectories of /lib/modules/`uname
-r`/.  There are Debian packages for the nVidia drivers now
"nvidia-kernel-src" and "nvidia-glx-src".  Both provide instructions on
how to build them in their README files in /usr/share/doc/.  I'm not
sure about your wireless driver.  I normally just use the orinoco module
with the default kernels.

--
Jamin W. Collins