Re: postfix or exim?

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 12:29:04PM +0200, Burkhard Ritter wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I want to set up an internet server (static ip) which should handle some
> mail. It would accept the appropriate mails and users could get them with
> pop or imap. The volume would be rather small.
>
> I had a look at several articles and also searched the mail archieves.
> Apparently postfix is the preferred solution, but I didn't really get the
> reasons for this. Lately I used exim locally and was quite happy with
> this.
>
> What are the advantages of postfix? What are your recommendations?

I started a wiki page at;

http://wiki.debian.net/EmailConfiguration

There was a thread on this a little earlier. About the only thing posibily
worth adding (feel free to add this to the wiki page), is aparently woody is
using exim3 which is now unsupported in favor of exim4. exim4 has apparently
slightly changed the config files, requiring a little extra care when
upgrading.

The implications of this are; exim is still under active development (good),
and there is a transition upgrade ahead for exim (simple, complicated?
Generally the Debian packagers do an excellent job of figuring this all out
for you).

Donovan Baarda                http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/