Re: apt-get repair question

* Barry, Christopher (cbarry@infiniconsys.com) [030411 07:59]:
> Hi everyone,
> 	OK, I'm a bonehead. I inadvertently deleted /usr/loc/bin
> 	contents by moving another bin directory on top of it. I will
> 	NEVER do a mv ../../../somedir anymore!! DOH! That said, is

mv can't do this.  You can clobber files, but not directories; if the
target is a directory, the source(s) are placed within it.

> 	their anyway to have either dpkg or apt verify the integrity of
> 	my installed packages, and then download and install packages
> 	that are not intact? I'm unsure of everything that was installed
> 	there, and really do not know the best way to proceed.

No package has put anything in /usr/local/bin, by policy.  The only
files in there would have been something you installed manually,
external to the package management system.  Do you have anything else
under /usr/local?  If you haven't installed anything there manually, you
shouldn't.

good times,
Vineet
--