Re: Anyone made any lvm boot floppies

no bootable CD-ROM on this puppy?

Alan Chandler wrote:
> I have made extensive use on lvm on my system.  All filesystems apart from
> root (this includes a separate /var and /usr) are lvm logical partitions).
>
> I backup root (and other things) disk to disk on a daily basis to one
of these
> partitions so that I can simply recover from failure.
>
> A couple of days ago a disk fault wiped out the superblock on my root
> partition.   That was when I discovered the flaw in my approach.
>
> My boot floppies could not open the lvm volumes - so I could not get
at the
> backup to restore my root.
>
> In the end I had to re-install debian from scratch (somewhat difficult
as the
> root partition is too small for a full install (remember that /usr and
/var
> are on a lvm volume normally but could not use these during this install).
> Then dist-upgrade it to sid (otherwise I have libc6 compatibility
problems)
> before overwriting root whilst it was running.  It took me several
evenings
> work to get it right.
>
> Before I put my back into creating boot floppies with lvm support
(although it
> appears easy, I have tried it before and never fully succeeded in getting
> something small enough) - has anyone done this already?

- --

"I live in the Managerial Age, in a world of "Admin." The
greatest evil is not now done in those sordid "dens of
crime" that Dickens loved to paint. It is not done even in
concentration camps and labour camps. In those we see its
final result. But it is conceived and ordered (moved,
seconded, carried, and minuted) in clean, carpeted, warmed
and well-lighted offices, by quiet men with white collars
and cut fingernails and smooth-shaven cheeks who do not need
to raise their voices. Hence, naturally enough, my symbol
for Hell is something like the bureaucracy of a police state
or the office of a thoroughly nasty business concern."

- - C. S. Lewis

John "Johnboy" Griffiths - RiotACT Editor

http://the-riotact.com
Ph: 0412 690 643
ICQ UIN: 7933859
email: johnboy@the-riotact.com