PCI Quirks?

I purchased a motherboard with the VIA 82cxxx-based chip. I complied a 2.4.18 kernel with modular support for this chip - i.e. modules soundcore and ac97_codec. workbone played a cd but there was no sound. I downloaded I gnome-media and gmix was able to turn up the volume. I downloaded wavtools but wavp pop.wav hung up.

That was yesterday.

Today, after rebooting, I can no longer use gmix; I get an error message that /dev/mixer doesn't exist.

In /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/VIA-chipset there is a statement that the kernel should include PCI Quirks. I have stepped through make xconfig and cannot find this option.

Is there a solution?