Re: cdrecord freezes when burning data

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 03:09, Ric Otte wrote:
> Bob,
>
> I tried your suggestion, but it didn't work.
> But then I got the idea to see if DMA affected it.  So I turned off DMA
> by typing
>
> hdparm  hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc
>
> And I was able to burn a couple of data cds.  I reall don't know why
> this worked (or even what DMA is), and I'm going to see if this
> continues to work.  It puzzles me, because I believe DMA was on when the
> cd burner was in my home machine.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion,
>
> Ric

I know very little about DMA except that it's supposed to be faster when it
works. DMA is off on my machine and I have no freezes or other troubles but
my 24 speed burner can't maintain a burn speed > 12.

I tried stuffing around with hdparm to get a bit more speed the other night
and ended up frozen in kde and had to hit the Windows cure button ( hardware
reset ).

Bob