Nvidia corrupting kernel?

For some reason the nvidia module is not loading at startup.  I had to
reinstall my emu10k1 modules and my nvidia module after installing the
kernel version 2.4.20 and now I have to manually kill gdm and modprobe
nvidia...this works and gives me a thought as to what might be the
problem.  Aparently it gives the warning that it could/is corrupting the
kernel when it loads.  What is causing this?  My only guess is that
something for nvidia or a graphics driver is compiled into the kernel,
but looking back through with menuconifg I could not find the module it
might have been...any ideas or insight would be helpfull, thanks as
always

Jason Self