Re: best way to have gcc-3.2 on woody?

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:17:47 +0100
Andrea Borgia <borgia@students.cs.unibo.it> wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Klaus Imgrund wrote:
>

> KI>AFAIK mplayer compiles with no problems with gcc2.95 just don't use
> 2.96 KI>I didn't see anything in the doc's about needing 3.2 for cvs.
>
> True enough, but any bug report on a MPlayer built with gcc 2.x is met
> with the standard "upgrade to 3.2" answer, according to other mplayer
> users.
>
> The fact is, I'm having a problem with mencoder, in which the second
> pass on video truncates the output of the first pass, then hangs
> steady at load 1 doing nothing. This happens with both stable and cvs
> versions, so I wanted to try building with the latest gcc and see what
> happens, before filing a bug.
>
> Andrea.

That has nothing to do the compiler as far as I can see - mencoder works
for me compiled with gcc 2.96 - no problem.The guys at the mplayer lists
are awful quick to tell you what a great piece of software mplayer is
and throw all the problems in another direction. If you feel like
experimenting you can give avidemux a try.There are debian packages at
deb http://marillat.free.fr/ unstable main There are also testing and
stable packages - I use unstable with an otherwise testing install w/o
any trouble.

Prost,

Klaus