Re: apt help

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 10:56:14AM +0530, Amit Shah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working with apt and have a few queries:
>
> 1. I've copied the first 3 woody disks on my hard disk in
> /var/cache/apt/cds/[123].
>
> I want apt to recognize these sources as the primary installation sources. I
> made changes in /etc/apt/sources.list, saying:
>
> deb file:/var/cache/apt/cds/1/cdrom/dists potato unstable contrib main
> non-US/contrib non-US/main
>
> deb file:/var/cache/apt/cds/2/cdrom/dists potato unstable contrib main
> non-US/contrib non-US/main
>
> deb file:/var/cache/apt/cds/3/cdrom/dists potato unstable contrib main
> non-US/contrib non-US/main
>
> this, however, doesn't work... it gives lots of error messages while
> installing anything, couldn't stat, etc..
>
> how to configure it?

The error messages can help to figure out what is missing. Can you quote
them here?

> 2. I want to install kde-3.0.4, or whichever >3 version is available. how do
> I go about doing this? I just have an entry for security.debian.org in my
> sources.list. do I have to add more?

As far as I know, kde > 3 has nothing to do with security.debian.org.
You will need to get some apt repository of that version of kde. Try to
look in old messages for the few debian developers who put some
unofficial repositories in their home page or look in the web for others
who put such repositories.

--

    Shaul Karl, shaulka@bezeqint.n e t