Re: The Real Problem With Debian

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 17:20:10 -0300
Klaus Imgrund <claus.imgrund@terra.com.br> wrote:

> but the doc's there are as outdated as my grandma - and she was put to
> rest a while ago. Don't get me wrong - I like linux a lot but the doc's
> suck sometimes.

You know, if you find a problem with the documents you're more than
welcome to submit updates to the author(s).  If that doesn't work, you are
also welcome to update them yourself.

> I had a problem one time with a cd-burner.
> Now - the site you mention tells you a lot of stuff that is about:
> -3 years outdated and
> -totally incomprehensible

Really?  Lets see, cd-burner you say, that would be:
   http://tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html

Looks like the page was updated a little over two years ago according to
this:
   v2.9.3, 23 July 2000

I remember using this document (possibly even same version, let me check
my print out, nope v2.8.8) to learn about CD writing in Linux.  Had
everything I needed.

> I really appreciate that the good guys of linux make an effort to
> document their software and put up manuals - BUT there is a lot of
> outdated stuff out there that is no help to anybody at all so pls. stop
> with this RTFM - stuff.

As I stated before, you are _more_ than welcome to submit updates to the
documents you feel are outdated.  Otherwise, you're merely part of the
problem you're complaining about (people not updating documentation).

--
Jamin W. Collins