Re: Linux in Universities

On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 16:59, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 18:48, Dan Kegel wrote:
> >
> > > I've put together a resource page re "Linux in Universities"
> > > at http://www.kegel.com/linux/edu/
> >
> > Federal Institute of Technology in Zürich, Switzerland
> >  - has several computer labs (generally accessible to students) with
> > various Linux distributions (mainly RH and Debian).
> >  - offers Laptops pre-installed with Linux/Windows dual boot
> > preinstalled (dunno what Linux, though; and the main point here is that
> > they offer Laptop hardware at relatively good prices).
>
> Found it:
> http://www.id.ethz.ch/Dienste/Laptopverleih/Angebot.html
> They offer Linux on request, but no support.
> (Amusingly, the English page says they have no laptops for sale.)
> That ought to be helpful, thanks!

The ETHZ webpages are a hopeless maze - I'm astonished you found
*anything* at all...

http://www.neptun.ethz.ch/Swan.html

This is the student laptop thing I thought of.

> Official Linux support looks thin.
> e.g. http://n.ethz.ch/index_neu.html says
> they're cutting off wireless LAN access to the
> internet unless you use their VLAN, and they only support
> Windows and MacOSX.

Didn't know that yet...

http://www.id.ethz.ch/Dienste/VPN/

has installation instructions for Linux

Gnerally, I found the availability of Linux at ETH was not difficult,
and the support staff is generally bad anyway, so there's no difference
between a windows support that's not existant because the support staff
is not able and a Linux support that's not existant because there's no
official person saying 'we support Linux'. For all platforms, you get
good support at ETHZ if you know who you can ask - and it's the official
support contact only in rare cases...

Ok, I'll shut up now... Important for me is just: if I want to use Linux
at ETHZ, it's no problem doing so. If I want to use Windows, or MacOS,
or Solaris, likewise.

</rant>

--
secure email with gpg                           http://fortytwo.ch/gpg

NOTICE: subkey signature! request key 92082481 from keyserver.kjsl.com