Woody kernel 2.4.18-686; ppp & scsi won't work.

I am currently running Woody with kernel 2.2.19 and both my dial-up ppp
connection and scsi system work as expected. I have installed kernel
2.4.18-686 for potential use of the USB capability (digital camera).
Unfortunately, when I restart my machine with the 2.4.18-686 kernel,
neither my ppp nor scsi system work.

I think this issue may relate to module loading. I see no module in the
2.4.18 directory named 'ppp', but there is 'ppp_generic'. However,
doesn't appear to load when I boot, but after loading it with modprobe,
the cd-rw is still not recognized.

Please send your responses to: barkatbarry@mindspring.com

I used to subscribe to this list, but I couldn't keep-up with the load.
I am a fairly novice Debian Linux user.

Barry Mathieu